Wednesday 10 October 2012

1000 Women And A Dream


Hi there.

I have created this blog for a rather specific reason. I have no intention of writing about ‘everyday life’ in an incoherent, non-related stream of posts. Instead, I intend to use this blog as an observation record.

I have noticed over the last couple of years how the role of women in our society has been changing. Yes, we have had the sexual revolution, we have ‘equal’ employment rights and we can chose how many children we have, or not. But it has struck me recently how the idea of a modern, first-world woman has been morphed into this contradictory, confusing, twisted, sick and unrealistic role. I would like to use this blog to work out some of these issues, and come to some kind of conclusion. I will attempt to explain what is happening in the media, politics and society that causes these mixed messages of ‘what makes us women?’

I have no intention of using this blog to shout stereotypical feminist diatribes, but instead would like to highlight articles, books, films, discussion or just thoughts that I have that I feel may contribute to this explanation.

Another reason for creating this blog is quite a selfish one – I intend to study International Relations at postgraduate level in the near(ish) future, and I’m planning to study with a focus on population, fertility and family planning. I am interested in investigating the links between women’s rights, motherhood, poverty, population controls, gender skews and global warming. This blog will give me the freedom and space to explore some of these issues (hopefully with some useful input and feedback from any readers) before I start thinking about putting together a Masters dissertation, or a PhD.

So all-in-all, welcome to the blog and I hope you keep reading. Feel free to suggest books, articles, films or anything really that will provoke a productive discussion!

Enjoy…

No comments:

Post a Comment